Our Chapter History
The origins of the Nu Omicron Chapter of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Incorporated began at 10 oclock, on a rainy Thursday evening March 13th 1947, in the home of our illustrious fraternity founder Bishop Edgar A. Love. An informal meeting was called for the purpose of discussing the possibility of establishing a chapter of the fraternity in the Jamaica section of Queens. The Brothers in attendance at this historical meeting were: Westervelt Taylor; Samuel F. Scott; Archie S. Drew; William H. Pleasants; Eugene G. Brandon; Bishop Edgar A. Love and Grant H. Campbell. Over the course of the next few weeks these seven men worked tirelessly to communicate to the Supreme Council and local brothers their idea of expansion in the community of Queens. Brother Love voluntarily accepted the responsibility of consulting the Supreme Council for all the information of organizing a chapter. Brother Lucas offered to make a shield for the proposed chapter. On April, 4th 1947 during a meeting held at Brother Love’s home a unanimous ballot was cast for the following Brothers as chapter officers: Basileus: Samuel F. Scott, Vice Basileus: Edgar A. Love, Keeper of Records and Seal: Grant H. Campbell, Keeper of Peace: Westervelt Taylor, Chaplain: William H. Pleasants, Chapter Editor: Archie S. Drew. During the following five months, while waiting on an official charter, the brothers continued to meet, attend fraternity conferences, and began planning their Negro Achievement Week Program. After months of “waiting and not being tired by waiting” the Nu Omicron chapter was officially chartered on October 15th 1947. Since 1947, the Nu Omicron Chapter has been a Shining Jewel in the crown of Omega in its service to the Queens community. Nu Omicron has been and will continue to be a viable community service entity in the Queens, NY community.